Lip products are essential to every beauty routine and something I really enjoy making and using. After testing and trying a few recipes and ingredient options I found a recipe I really like and want to share with you.
It is a DIY Lip Scrub with Cocoa Butter. It is fine and lightly exfoliates any dead skin or cell build up on the lips while adding moisture from the oils and butter used. It feels so nice and makes your lips feel very soft after.
DIY LIP SCRUB WITH COCOA BUTTER
Here is some information about the ingredients I used in this lip scrub:
Cocoa Butter is a beautiful tan and fragrant butter with the solids from the cacao fruit. Our Cocoa Butter comes from Mexico, where it is produced by a woman-owned, fair-trade company. Cocoa butter smells deeply of chocolate and is the main fat content in chocolate bars and candies, giving them their signature rich taste and texture. Cocoa Butter deeply moisturizes through the layers of skin so adds a powerful moisturizer to this scrub. It also helps keep the oil suspended in the sugar mixture naturally.
Apricot Oil is pressed from the kernel at the middle of the apricot fruit. It has a fresh, nutty aroma and light texture that absorbs quickly. You can feel it hydrating your skin almost instantly. Apricot oil is great for a wide range of skin types, but especially for sensitive or mature skin. Its particular nutrients help strengthen skin and promote cell regeneration.
Cocoa Powder Is well known for its use in making a wide variety of chocolate treats that we are familiar with. But did you know it also has skincare benefits? The theobromine content (related to caffeine) helps tighten and heal skin, and it’s full of antioxidants, vitamin C and magnesium.
Sugar is a great option for scrubs because it’s much gentler than salt while gently exfoliating. It’s also a natural humectant moisturizer – exactly what your lips need to stay soft and hydrated.
DIY LIP SCRUB RECIPE
- 70 g Sugar
- 1 tsp Cocoa powder
- 24 g jojoba oil (you may also use almond oil or apricot oil for similar results)
- 5 g Cocoa Butter
- Put your sugar in a mixing bowl
- Melt cocoa butter over double boiler on low heat
- Once melted, add the cocoa butter to the sugar
- Add your Jojoba Oil to the mixture
- Stir the mixture until fully combined
- Pour into a container
- Put it in the fridge for an hour
- It is now ready to use. Apply a generous amount to the lips and lightly scrub it in to exfoliate. Rinse and then pat dry. Apply lip balm directly afterwards.
- Store at room temperature in a jar with a lid or similar container.